16 Rare Facts about Basketball
Basketball is one of the most-watched sport. But did you know how this game was discovered? Let's find out!
The story starts with Dr. James Naismith of Springfield, Massachusetts a physical instructor in 1891. He wanted to create a game that was less injurious than football. So, to keep athletes busy indoors during winters he came up with this game. This game gathered a lot of popularity in the 20th century. At first, it was pretty famous in America and then later it gained people’s attention in the other parts of the world.
The game was simply about throwing the ball into the basket which was hung to a railing at a height. Every basket gained them a score. Every time a basket was scored the game was paused and the janitor used to climb up the stairs to retrieve the ball. Later the bottoms of the fruit baskets were removed.
And that’s how basketball was invented. Hear from Naismith talk about the game.
9 rare facts about basketball:
- Originally, each team consisted of 9 players playing on the court. It was later reduced to 5 players per team.
- Earlier the basket was nailed to the mezzanine balcony. The spectators in the balcony often interrupted the shots. Therefore later the blackboard was invented to observe the shots carefully.
- Earlier dribbling was not a huge part of the game at all!
- During the 1900s basketball was played inside cages made of chicken wire and mesh. This was to prevent them from falling upon the spectators.
- There are many variations to basketball. It has been widened into Wheelchair basketball, Water basketball, Beach basketball, Slamball, Streetball and Unicycle basketball!
- Many of the rules that are a part of this game are inspired by the children's game called ‘Duck on a Rock’. It is a game that consists of a player guarding a stone placed on an elevated object and other players try to knock it down.
- Earlier soccer balls were used for playing basketball. The soccer balls used to slip from the player’s hands. All the players used to dust their hands with coal dust to gain a grip on the ball.
- The Basketball Association of America and National Basketball League merged on August 5, 1976, and created the National Basketball Association (NBA)
- Adidas manufactures all the NBA uniforms.
7 Rarely known facts about basketball players:
- In 2006 a horrifying injury took place during a college basketball tournament game, Villanova player Allen Ray’s eye popped out after a Pittsburgh player injured it. Doctors were able to secure the eye back in, and he regained his vision.
- March 21, 1893, a women’s collegiate basketball game was played at Smith College in Northampton was played for the first time. At that time, it was considered inappropriate for men to watch women playing sports, so all the doors to the gym were locked.
- NBA players while playing a game run as much as a four miles.
- Kobe Bryant was the youngest player to start playing NBA, he was just 18 years old.
- Basketball shorts were short until 1984 when Michael Jordan asked for longer ones
- Michael Jordan has won the most scoring titles at ten
- Jordan and Wilt Chamberlain are the only players to have won seven consecutive scoring titles
- The original Air Jordan collection was curated only for Michael Jordan in early 1984. It was designed by Peter Moore.
Author - Simran Tewari